Monday, October 13, 2008

Vice magazine

Soweto, South Africa
"The guy resting on the bench outside his tin shack is pretending not to take notice of me. I am staring from the other side of the street at the sign in front of him. "SLUM TOUR - call 0837-197-494" I read in big letters painted in blue on a makeshift billboard.
For a while I was left wondering why somebody would expose poor people to the inquisitive gaze of foreigners*.
On my third visit to Johannesburg I decided to take my chance, curious to see whether you really get shown around people's homes with a guide saying something like "and this is how poor people live." Looking at my camera in my lap, I am not sure how to feel about exploring Soweto, ones of the biggest townships, in this particular way...

Check out my story* on my tour through Soweto, South Africa, in the latest print edition of Vice magazine (Austria) Volume2 Number9/September 2008
*the Simpson bit was an editorial decission

No comments: