Sunday, March 15, 2009

Interview Dai Fujiwara




Dai Fujiwara, creative director of Issey Miyake, talks about his work and the importance of a successfull combination between tradition and technology.


SP: Mr Dai Fujiwara, you have been with Issey Miyake since 1994 and are now the creative director.
How important was this process to absorb the philosophy if Issey Miyake and to mature your own strength and ideas as designer?

DF: I am very thankful for the experience and opportunities that have opened up and allowed me to break existing barriers and to explore new dimensions. My personal work ethics are deeply rooted in teamwork. Mr. Miyake and I also regularly spend time together to exchange opinions about different aspects of clothing and fabrics.

SP: What do you consider the biggest challenge in your work?

DF: It is about developing new ideas and concepts, and to exceed our clients’ expectations.

SP: What does tradition mean to you?

DF: It is the appreciation of a kind of concealed contentment and quality which will grow over the course of time.

SP: How important do you consider the balance of tradition (handcraft) and modern technology?

DF: Issey Miyake has always been interested in keeping the balance between excellent craftsmanship and technological innovation. Still, for our concepts, the need of human hand is indispensable.

SP: In your work you are constantly moving between “today” and “tomorrow”. How do you keep your focus on essential things?

DF: At the end of each day, I try to get comfortable, listen to some music and reflect on what I did during the day. But I also have great expectations for the next day. In addition, I like to boost my concentration with candy, without which I could rarely solve a task. My relation to sweets is similar to a bear’s relation to honey.

SP: How do you think the world’s current political and financial situation could change people’s attitude towards fashion?

DF: Perhaps people become more realistic and reflective when asking themselves “What do I want to do?” and “What should I wear?” There might be an increased awareness with regard to selection and purpose.


Read my full interview with Issey Miyake Creative Director Dai Fujiwara
in the March edition of pool_26


or http://www.pool-mag.net/international/content1.html?id=622&iid=26

Photo: Tamotsu Fujii / Issey Miyake

No comments: